Frequently Asked Questions
+ Is acupuncture safe and does it hurt?
Yes, acupuncture is extremely safe provided your practitioner is properly trained and following appropriate techniques. Most patients find treatments very relaxing and that the needles cause minimal discomfort. Some mild and not very common side effects indulge feelings of light headedness or fainting, nausea and mild bruising.
+ What can acupuncture treat?
Acupuncture is a whole system of medicine that can successfully treat a wide variety of acute and chronic conditions. Common concerns that patients may seek acupuncture for include:
- mental and emotional patterns like anxiety, stress or depression
- pain anywhere in the body including headaches, arthritis, low back injury, sciatica, injury or muscle tension.
- digestive concerns like bloating, nausea, IBS or constipation
- support during pregnancy for any ailment like morning sickness, low energy, insomnia, aches and pains, labour preparation or natural induction support
- gynaecological patterns including PMS, cramping, PCOS, endometriosis, fertility support, amenorrhea, menopausal symptoms
- natural facial rejuvenation, reduction in fine lines, collagen production, acne, scarring, rosacea.
- immunity and respiratory support including allergies, asthma, common cold, sore throat, sinusitis
+ How often should I come?
I typically recommend starting with a series of weekly treatments for at least 3 to 5 weeks to start establishing a treatment plan and results. Different conditions, different patient histories and whether a pattern is chronic or acute will all effect the duration of a treatment plan as everything is always specifically curated for you. At your initial consult we will discuss our treatment plan approach and any home care recommendations needed.
+ Is acupuncture covered?
Yes, acupuncture from a registered acupuncturist is typically covered within most extended health plans. I always recommend contacting your extended health provider to get familiar with your plans coverage amount and treatment maximums. I also offer direct billing for most of the common extended health plan groups currently available.